There is a little kid in all of us, as anyone born after the mid 1960’s will soon discover when they see our new limited edition H.R.Owen Top Trumps packs, available exclusively to H.R. Owen’s customers. Bursting with dynamic images tantalising facts, this promises to be the definitive Supercar card deck.
Displaying all of our latest models and some of our best loved classics, the H.R.Owen Top Trumps pack is a truly mouth-watering collection. Gamers can compare the Aston Martin’s DB5 with the latest Vanquish Volante; or the Type 41 Bugatti Royal from 1927 to a Rolls-Royce Wraith (you’d better pick length or weight if you have the Bugatti as it took 18 seconds to get from 0-60 – but it’s still so beautiful).
The original ‘Top Trumps’ was launched in 1977 and right from the start they were all about engines and power. The very first series of top trumps included ten titles of which 5 were cars: Cars, Sports Cars, Super Cars, Racing Cars and Dragsters the remainding decks were still all vehicle based. It became an overnight sensation with children and the game went from strength to strength during the late 70’s and early 80’s via both Waddingtons and Dubreq.
Every series of cards created in those early years had a heavy car theme with a variety of supercar, racing car and dragster decks being produced. When Top Trumps became more popular again around the year 2000, cars were again a focus of the packs produced.
Some of the rarer packs that are still sought out by collectors are listed below including such 70’s icons as the Lancia Stratos Zero, the BMW M1 and the Lamborghini Muira, which coincidentally features in the H.R. Owen set.
- Series 1 Supercars – 1977
- Series 2 Prototypes – 1977
- Exotic Cars – 1999
- Car’s of the Future – circa 1988
- Performance Cars 2 – 1991
- Gumball 3000 Rally – 2000
- Autocar – 2001 Promotion Pack
- Eco-Vehicles – 2007 promotion Pack
The game is for 2 or more players and is very simple.
- All the cards are dealt among the players.
- The first player selects a category from his topmost card (eg top speed) and reads out its value.
- Each player then reads out in turn the value of the same category from their top card.
- The person whose card has the highest value wins the “trick” and the winner takes all the cards of the trick and places them at the bottom of his or her pile.
- That player (i.e. the winner of the previous round) then looks at their new topmost card and chooses the category for the next round and repeats the steps above.
- The aim is to win all the cards in the deck or to see who has the most cards at the end of a certain time period (e.g. by the end of break time).
The H.R. Owen Deck:
The categories on the H.R. Owen Top Trumps Deck are as follows and in all but the 0-60mph category highest wins.
- Top Speed (mph)
- 0-60 (mph – lowest wins)
- Max. Power (bhp)
- Engine Capacity (cc)
- No. Cylinders
- Weight (kg)
- Length (mm)
Each card tells you the numbers for the categories above as well as a snippet of information about the car. For example did you know that even back in 1927 Bugatti positioned itself amongst the true automotive Elite, with just 6 examples of the “Royale” being built each with a near thirteen litre engine capable of reaching 100mph.
If you are inspired to take a look at the specifications of some of the other cars in our pack why not take a look at them on our website. You can read all about our current models across all the marques via the New Cars page.